Edit (2012-12-04, 2:49pm): Updated instructions here.
Here are written instructions with a video demonstration below. The demo is on a Mac, but the process is the same on Windows and Linux using Google Chrome.
- Activate “Enable resource tracking” in Google Chrome
- Sort the resources by size
- Go to the web page that has the video you want to download
- Pick the highest quality video available
- Copy the largest resource’s request URL
- Leave the current page
- “Paste and Go” to the copied URL
- If the video is a .flv, it will download automatically
- If the video is a .mp4, right-click the video to “Save Video As…”
- If you are having trouble playing a .flv file, try using VLC to play it instead.
I’ve tried a bunch of other video download solutions before. Some use a bookmarklet or plugin. Others are websites where you paste in a link, and it gives you the option to download. Some are programs you need to download and install which are not cross platform. When video websites change the way their links are formatted, then these solutions break. You have to wait for the developers to update their software. Sometimes they never do. Also, they don’t have support for lesser known video websites.
I’ve been using the standard Google Chrome browser to download almost any video from any website. It may not be a one click affair, but it has proven to be quite reliable even if the video website changes the formatting of their links. I’ve been able to download videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, and some other adult oriented websites. The only one that has given me trouble is Hulu.
If anyone has a good Hulu downloading solution, please share in the comments. Thanks! Hulu downloading tutorial here.
Here are some good reasons to download the videos you like.
- You can create a mashup or remix of the downloaded video in a NLE.
- Sometimes videos get taken down without notice, and you’ll have a backup to mirror.
- Sometimes the audio of videos are disabled due to copyright, and you’ll still have the original version.
- You can transfer the video to a portable video player or DVD.
- I like cover songs performed by YouTube singers. With the downloaded video, I can make an mp3 of their cover and import it into my mp3 player.
Hope you found this helpful! What video download solution do you use?
To the extent possible under law, Phloating Man has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to “Video Tutorial: How To Download Almost Any Streaming Video Using Google Chrome“.